Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bonjour, Fashionistas!

Welcome to my Blog, Les Modes D'Amour (for you non-French speakers, The Styles of Love). I'm going to show you the best style blog you've ever seen! So get ready...

Today's Fashion Statement is "Prep with a Twist." I am an INCREDIBLY preppy person. I do not mean Abercrombie and Hollister, either. We're talking J.Crew, Ralph Lauren...the real deal. Although, in my sets today, I do have a few Abercrombie items...Polyvore just doesn't have enough preppy gear from MY favorite stores. As you may have noticed, though, preppy can be a little cookie cutter, a little boring. So today...I'll show you how to take that prep school style that is so IN right now...and give it a twist!

Set #1 is pretty simple. This can be done with either a polo or a button-down, a skirt or shorts (although I reccomend denim, I suppose you could do khaki or another type of shorts). All you do is add gladiators and a boho bag. Pretty simple. Personally, I love gladiators. Not the up-your-ankle kind like these, but a more simple type, like these. They're chic, funky, and totally in right now. You may want to add some fun jewelry too, but I wanted to get across the simplicity of this outfit, so I didn't.


Oh wow, set #2 is probably my favorite. Of course, keep in mind that the button-down should be tucked IN to the high-waisted skirt. Oh, I am so in love with that skirt...I bought it, from Urban Outfitters, and it's so flattering. Anyways, I like this because the skirt, shirt and jewelry are so classy and prep school-esque. The bag, too, is very preppy. But the boots and the bomber add a different feel. With the exception of the purse (and the bomber, but I'm buying that soon), I own this entire outfit and I cannot wait to try it out. Of course, when I try it out it will be with my Dooney and Bourke bag. Still, I love this outfit and I hope you do too!



My third and final outfit, starring the above purse, I am in love with as well. Now, I can't pull of skinny jeans, or booties, but those that can...please pair them with a button down or polo. I like the nautical Betsey Johnson jewelry too. It adds a nice summery flavor to fall, so when you sit in class you can reminise about those beachy days. Here it is:


For some other ways to take Classic Prep to the next level, try...
-scarves
-sunglasses
-vests
-a preppy top with a slouchy cardigan, instead of the more fitted ones
-nice slacks and a more eclectic top

Any more ideas? Tips? Questions? Comments? Just comment me!

Oh, and post pictures of yourself in a preppy outfit with a cool twist. The best one will be featured in my next post. Happy fashioning, mes cheries!

Au revoir,
moi


No comments: